Lai Chau Hydropower Plant Project

1. General

Name of project:

Lai Chau Hydropower Plant Project

Investor :

Vietnam Electricity

Project manager:

Son La – Lai Chau Hydropower Projects Management Board

Project location:

Nam Hang Commune, Muong Te District, Lai Chau Procivince

Total investment:

 VND 35,700billion 

Investment sources:

EVN (20%), remaining 80% from domestic and foreign commercial loan, and preferential investment credit

Project scale:


Number of units:

03 x 400MW

Annual Output:

4.69 bilion kWh

Lai Chau Hydropower Project, as the upstream most one of Da River cascade, is a national key project of Vietnam.

Main objectives of the project are power supply for national grid, participation in flood control in rainy seasons, water supply for Bac Bo delta in dry seasons, stimulus for socio-economic development of Lai Chau and Dien Bien Provinces and the North West region, and support for security and defence of North West region.

Lai Chau HPP is designed for a Full Supply Level of 295m, Minimum Operating Level of 270m, and 3 units with total installed capacity of 1200MW. Power from all units is dispatched to 500kV grid and transmitted to 500kV busbars at 500/220kV Son La (Pi Toong) substation through a 180km long 500kV double circuit transmission line

Combined with Hoa Binh HPP (1920MW) and Son La (2400MW), total install capacity of hydropower plants on Da cascade after commission of Lai Chau HPP (1200MW) will reach 6500MW and provide some 25bil.kWh at a value of 1.2-1.3billion USD per annum.

2. Project schedule

  • Ground breaking ceremony: 5 January 2011
  • River closure: 24 April 2012
  • First inundation: 20 June 2015
  • Operation of 1st unit: 14 December 2015
  • Operation of 2nd unit: 20 June 2016
  • Operation of 3rd unit: 9 November 2016

  • 29/12/2016 10:36
  • 6264